It’s been a week.
One week ago today, I was waking up in a hotel room in Birmingham with my sweet twin daughters with a HUGE expectancy.
He not only delivered.. I do believe He brought it with a “Bam” (in the words of Emeril) through Kay Arthur. If you haven’t ever heard of her (please tell me you have), she’s one of the wisest, kindest and real 77 year old deals out there. Oh, to have a legacy of faith like Mrs. Arthur. Her studies rock. Her faith is beyond, beyond.
Here’s a taste of what she brought home… (the entire book of Matthew in 1.5 hours… oh YES she did!)
4 Critical truths we need to know today to face the future with confidence:
- Who is Christ and what is His call? (Matthew 1) – Do you and I really know who Jesus is?
- The cost of the Cross. – (Matthew 3) Do we understand what it costs to follow Jesus?
- The gain or the loss in our lives, in our relationships with Jesus. (Matthew 10)
- The Commission. – What has He called me to do? Do I understand it? (Matthew 28)
Here are just a few (i know it’s long.. but really, it’s just a few) of her statements that I can’t let go of:
- No matter the cost, I have to obey Him.
- Am I living for myself, truly? Am I living without a relationship with God?
- I’ve got to really examine my life, get things in order. Am I living for Him? Totally and absolutely living the way HE says to live?
- DO I even know what that means? Living the way HE says to live?
- What’s going on in my life that needs to change? Time, money, wife, mother? What am I doing? Examine my lifestyle in preparation to meet Jesus.
- I need to have a change of mind about who Jesus is. He’s not someone or something to add to my life like salt and pepper.
- JESUS IS NOT AN ACCESSORY. HE’S the SON of GOD.
- I am commissioned to Kingdom work.
- True repentance means He becomes my LIFE.
- How much stuff do I have? Where is my treasure? Repent, have a change of mind. Allow Jesus to show you what is really important.
- Am I willing to be hated for the sake of Jesus Christ?
- A disciple is a person who makes Jesus their #1 priority.
- Deny yourself, your desires, wants. Whatever you have for me, that’s what I want Father! Surrender without hesitation to Him!
- Take up His Cross.
- I will have to give an account for the deeds done in my body. He will one day judge what I have done with my treasure, talent and time.
- God gave us 66 books. Everyone one of them. Do I know all 66 books or do other things/books fill my time or take priority?
- Have I really denied myself anything? Have I really taken up His cross and followed?
- When I embrace the culture over the Word of God, I have bowed down to the culture.
Still reeling from His message to me through the book of Matthew and Kay Arthur. It’s a good reeling.
Is there is anything/anyone more important in my life? Nothing more important than God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and His Word? Nothing?
Honestly.. I’m still asking all these questions and checking myself once again. It’s a message that has to percolate.
And I wouldn’t mind rocking a pair of skinny jeans and a bomber jacket at 77 years old as I quoted scripture so rapidly that youngsters can’t even keep up.